Utahns at large demonstrate significant support for improving education in the state. They consistently rank education as one of the top priorities for the state or one of the issues they’re most concerned about for the future. Conversely, Utahns rank the state’s performance on education as among the worst compared to other priorities.
Additionally, Envision Utah’s Your Utah, Your Future effort found that there is not only shared concern for education, but also significant agreement on what should be done. Out of nearly 53,000 Utahns surveyed, 78% selected a scenario for the future of education that included sustained, targeted funding for proven, effective strategies to place Utah among the top ten states for educational outcomes. The Your Utah, Your Future process resulted in a vision for the future of education in Utah that is broadly supported among both experts and the public.
In light of this shared interest in improving education in Utah, Envision Utah will lead a process to bring together education groups, key education stakeholders, policymakers, and others to
- Create a culture of high educational achievement among all Utahns, including understanding and support for the most effective educational strategies as well as prioritization of learning and education within each household, and
- Ensure there are mechanisms, policies, and funding in place to implement the most effective educational strategies and improve education across the state.
Many organizations, including Envision Utah, have identified key educational strategies that would significantly improve educational outcomes in the state of Utah. Envision Utah’s multi-year process will help implement those strategies and accomplish the following:
- Facilitate the collaboration of existing education-focused groups and stakeholders in Utah to create a unified action strategy that aligns common interests and builds support from additional stakeholders to improve education in the state.
- Significantly improve public understanding of the current status and trends of education outcomes in Utah as compared to other places nationally and globally and to shifting economic realities.
- Help Utah parents and children understand that high educational achievement is increasingly critical to individual, family, and community economic success.
- Inform the public about, and demonstrate broad public support for, highly leveraged strategies—including both policies and private actions—that will improve educational achievement in the state.
Envision Utah’s role is not to diminish the influence of organizations already working to improve education in Utah, or to distract them from their unique missions. Instead, as a 3rd party convener and neutral facilitator, Envision Utah will strengthen their efforts by facilitating their coordination and collaboration regarding their common goals.
Education Values Study
This summer, Envision Utah spearheaded a values study focused on discovering how Utahns feel about a variety of issues related to education.
Our first release focuses on the perceived view of education in Utah. See the results here.
Our second release focuses on Utah teachers. Education_Values_and_Teachers_Envision_Utah.pdf
Stay tuned as we continue to release study findings.
Since 2013, Envision Utah has been facilitating the work of the State Water Strategy Advisory Team. Based on extensive public input, this team has put together a draft state water strategy proposal. This proposal is available to the public for comment.
Please join us for our annual Common Good Awards! Envision Utah created the Common Good Awards to recognize people and organizations whose values and actions benefit the community as a whole. This year, our keynote speaker is Dana Suskind, MD, author of 30 Million Words: Building A Child's Brain.
Utahns envision feeding their families with healthy, high-quality food grown in Utah. They see an abundance of locally grown products as part of a healthy lifestyle that will improve the quality of life for them and future generations. Utahns also envision being more self-reliant and less dependent on other states and countries to provide their food. They also want a future in which Utah’s food industry provides jobs across the state.
Three in four Utahns believe that farming and ranching are critical to the state, but some of Utah’s best agricultural lands face enormous pressure to be converted into housing, businesses, and communities. The Utah County Agriculture Toolbox is a set of tools and strategies that can help agriculture thrive in Utah County while meeting the needs of a rapidly growing county.
Envision Utah has spent more than a year working with farmers, county leaders, developers, agriculture experts and others to identify tools and strategies to protect and preserve agriculture in Utah County. These strategies, which include best practices and more, will help Utahns understand what needs to be done to achieve their vision for Utah's agriculture.
Interested in learning more about the project? Click here to learn about the Utah County Agriculture Toolkit, or here to learn more about Utahn's vision for agriculture from the Your Utah, Your Future process.
Envision Utah is honored to have received the Outstanding Achievement Award by the American Planning Association's Utah Chapter for Utah's vision in the Your Utah, Your Future campaign. The award will be presented at the APA Utah Conference on October 6th.